Not everyone has extensive experience moving and storing items. We at 56 Mini Storage understand this, and are prepared to help with whatever questions may arise as you begin planning for your storage needs.
Some of the most helpful pieces of advice we can give right off the bat are:
- Try to use new boxes for storing belongings as often as possible. Reused boxes have a tendency to rip, which can damage your personal items.
- Heavy items should be packed in small boxes, as it makes them easier to lift.
- Be consistent with box sizes. For example, use medium boxes for all storage – this makes stacking easier, and saves room in your unit overall.
- Tape over all box openings. This will keep dust from making its way into your belongings.
- Never lay mirrors or other glass items flat when packing, and always remember to cover them in bubble wrap.
- Label your box contents on ALL sides. This way no matter which direction it gets stored, you know what you are looking at.
- Fill up the entire box – but not with only heavy materials. Full boxes have less of a tendency to tip over.
- Drain any equipment of fuel before storing.
- Thoroughly clean freezers and refrigerators before storing, and ensure their doors are sealed tight with a strap or tape.